- Don’t be Fooled by the Pullback in the Dollar Because…. - November 14, 2018
- Rise of the USD – How high can it go with - November 14, 2018
- VIDEO – Targets for GBP, USDJPY and EURO - October 5, 2016
- RBA Meeting Preview - October 3, 2016
- How to Trade the Dollar into the Presidential Debate - September 26, 2016
- Here’s How to Trade the Sept ECB Rate Decision - September 7, 2016
- Bank of Canada September Preview - September 6, 2016
- Will August Payrolls Disappoint the Dollar? - September 1, 2016
- Where is the Dollar Headed this Week? - August 29, 2016
- Will Aug NFPs Help or Hurt USD/JPY? - August 4, 2016
Why has the rally in the EUR been so lackluster? Because there are a still
4 3 more hurdles to overcome before we can put the Greek debt crisis behind us.
The Greeks have jumped over 2 hoops on their own with one more expected to be cleared once the Greek implementation vote is completed this afternoon.
1. Win no Confidence Vote
2. Get Parliament to Approve Austerity Plan
3. Get Parliament to Approve Implementation Procedure
4. Get EU/IMF to Release Next Tranche of Aid
5. EU/IMF Needs to Come up With a Second Rescue Plan for Greece
6. Rating Agencies need to be convinced that the Rescue Plan does not constitute a default
The Greeks have lived up to their end of the bargain by passing the Austerity Package that the EU and IMF demanded and now the ball is in their court. When European Finance Ministers meet on July 3rd, we expect them approve the next bailout tranche, worth EUR12 billion. They will then start to discuss options to ensure continued financing for Greece. Thankfully, investors are not operating in a vacuum because the bond rollover plan proposed by France has received widespread approval and support by the markets. Getting rating agencies to feel the same way will be the main challenge but crafting the second bailout package will not be easy either because even if there is enough participation in the rollover, Greece will still be asked to find buyers for EUR50 billion worth of state owned assets.